Saturday, March 12, 2011

Zoe Kate is FOUR!



I simply cannot believe that my sweet Zoe Kate turned four years old!! Zoe is such a spunky little girl. It has been so amazing watching her grow into a little person and into a big personality!! I love everything about her! 
Here is some fun info about Zoe at the age of four (in a very random order):
  • As you know, she's as sharp as a tack! Her knowledge on sooo many topics is just fantastic. She refers to herself, almost daily, as an "expert." She is a very well rounded child enjoying everything from gymnastics, to music, to Barbie dolls, to Sesame Street, to Star Wars, to well, you name it, she'll find an interest in it!!! In fact, for her birthday, she asked for Barbies and "Star Wars character action figures" (in her words). Isn't that funny!
 
  • Zoe is artsy for sure! She doesn't get this from her Mommy!! She gets her drawing abilities from her Daddy! He's a closet artist! ha. One day she brought me this drawing of a dog... and, it was very very good, for a three year old. Well, it was probably better than I could do. She loves making crafts and drawing. Coloring, not so much. 
 
  • Also, from her Daddy.... she got a great sense of humor! She tells jokes daily. Mind you, they may not always make sense, but a lot of times they do. The best part about her humor is that she can slip it in a conversation, purposefully, and laugh after the punch line. I love it!!

  • Right now, Zoe is still a pretty picky eater. She did branch out and try noodles!! And, now, she realizes that she likes macaroni and cheese!! Yay! Not that that is a fantasticly healthy food, but hey, she tried it and she likes it. She also ate a green bean the other day. She did think that she would gag and die, but after eating it (it only took 30 minutes). decided it wasn't that bad. But, she didn't eat anymore. Maybe one day.... right? I sure hope so! Maybe her new tv tray will encourage her to eat something new??

  • Zoe loves loves loves to sing! Easily she learns the words to an entire song!! Generally, if we tell her the artist, she won't forget it! Right now, she knows all the words to the Train song, "Hey" and all the words to James Blunt's song, "You're Beautiful"... two modern day songs. Of course, she also knows the Books of the Bible songs too! I love that she loves music!! (She even has her own American Idol audition ready to go if ever asked to perform!). At home, she is always 'on stage' singing and dancing!! (I'll have to post a video of this later!)
  • Right now, Zoe is really into playing dress up! It's SO CUTE! Basically as soon as she gobbles up her breakfast, she's on to changing her clothes into .... well, who knows what! It may be a leotard, or a ball gown, or a mermaid costume, or a fairy, or Cinderella, or Sleeping Beauty or even Rapunzell, wig and all! She wanted a hair salon for Christmas this year... loves it!! She has finally learned how to get her clothes on (for the most part) by herself! She's almost got the hang of getting her shirt off all by herself. I think this is a skill that children usually do at a younger age, but she's never really had the desire to undress herself, so I never pushed it. Anyway, this past Thursday, she got up and saw her preschool clothes laid out. AND, she put them on all by herself! She was SO very proud! And, so was I!!
 
  • One thing that we think is VERY cool about Zoe is that she can read (and LOVES to read) just about anything she wants! She can read and spell aloud for you any three letter (sometimes four) word that has a short vowel in it. Like, bed, cat, dog, etc. She also has several sight words in her memory too! Like an, the, for... We are ultra impressed as we really haven't been working with her THAT much on reading. She just LOVES to read and watch shows about reading! Like "The Electric Company" and "Super Why."  AND, this past week, she realized that "silent e" at the end of a word means the other vowel says "it's name"... um, WOW! She's just turned four people!! She also recognizes lots of numbers... as in double digit numbers and even 100 and 1,000. She is constantly adding numbers together and is doing a fantastic job!  In this picture, I was writing numbers down and she was reading them to me. She loves for us to "take turns" counting to 100, even though most all of the turns are hers. Of course, WE think she's the smartest little thang ever!!  Yay Zoe!
 
  • A few weeks ago, she noticed that none of her friends (ie, Audrey and Lydia) had bed rails on their big girl beds. She asked us if we would take them down.... We didn't realize that she was probably at the age where they could come off. So, we let her. MAN OH MAN, how she has bragged and bragged about being in a bed with NO RAILS! Funny, right? Who knew that was going to be such a big deal, and that she would ask if she could take them off.

  • Zoe LOVES being a big sister to Luke! Each morning, she wakes before Luke. As soon as she hears him chattering, she opens his door with a big HELLO LUKE, as she flips on his bright overhead light! (imagine Kramer from Seinfeld here.. it's funny!!) Luke is always delighted as Zoe climbs into his crib with him for morning playtime. In the past few months, Luke has been able to "Play" more with Zoe.... which, makes her SO happy. She is SO good with him. She always tells me what he needs or wants. She gets just as excited as I do when he says a new word or does something funny. She is very nurturing. I think she's gonna be a great Mommy one day!
 
  • While Zoe LOVES to play Barbies (all day long) and playdoh and watch her favorite tv shows, but she absolutely LOVES to play outside or just BE outside! She has such a great imagination when playing. We simply cannot get over some of the stories she tells us or the games she creates in her mind. So cool! We are looking forward to spring so we can play outside more!!  She has a bike that is just calling her name! I hope she'll enjoy learning to ride her bike... I remember loving that as a child.  
  • This past year, we had her allergy tested because of her sensitive reactions every.time.she.plays.outside in the spring/summer/fall..... She was allergic to everything on the environmental panel except for dogs and dust. Seriously?! Allergic to everything except TWO things. Poor gal! She's taking daily allergy medication and her drs have recommended weekly allergy shots (still undecided on that).  Praying spring goes well, allergy wise! Oh, and, she's allergic to tree nuts too. She can have peanuts, just not walnuts, cashews, pecans, almonds... bummer, huh!
  • For her birthday party this year, which she's been planning for about six months, was SO adorable! She wanted a "Little Mermaid" themed birthday party. I let her pick out everything, down the the napkins, the games and the prizes. Yep, that's her face on the Little Mermaid's body... funny!  More on this later....
 
  • Did I mention how INDEPENDENT Zoe is these days?? She always has been one to want to do things on her own, but here lately.... "I can do it Mommy!" is all I seem to hear! I love that she wants to do things on her own and try things! She is great at brushing her own teeth, drinking out of cups with no lids, getting on her favorite WEBSITE by herself, adjusting the volume on the television (ha), AND, she is great at falling asleep by herself. Often times when I tuck her in bed, I want to snuggle up with her and hold her until she falls asleep.... but, 9 times out of 10, she will say, "Mommy, you can go to your bed now".... sniff sniff.  Zoe, please be my little baby that needs her mommy for just a little longer, please!
 
  • Zoe is still a pretty petite thing! By looking at her, you'd never guess that she weighed 8lbs 3.5oz!! She's about 29 or 30 pounds and 37 inches tall. Generally she wears a size 3T, but daily asks if she can wear clothes that have the number 4 inside the tag.  And, isn't she beautiful?? I know she's my daughter and I'm a tad biased... but, I think she really has a pretty look about her. Great smile and expressions that really make a person want to hang on her every word. Love that about her!

  • Oh, and DUH, I want to add that Zoe is SUCH A GOOD GIRL! Really, she is!! Of course every three year old, ahem-four year old, has their moments of breaking bad.... but, really she is obedient and respectful and kind and considerate and polite! She listens to us and understands (as much as a four year old can) that she is the child and we are the Mommy and Daddy. I love they way she loves us.
Zoe, I could go on and on about YOU all day long. YOU are so fantastic! Our prayer is that you grow up to serve Jesus and though Him, do great things!
Love you Zoe Kate! Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

Carla said...

Where does the time go? Seems like just yesterday you were bringing her home from the hospital. You have been blessed with a beautiful girl with lots of personality. I love the pictures especially the one of her as Ariel, too cute!!!