Saturday, July 4, 2009

I've Got the Big Girl Bed..... blues....

Stick with me here.... it's a long story.

On Thursday, I found out that Zoe's crib had been recalled due to slats breaking and cracking--yikes. I called the company only to find out that I had to take the whole crib a part and mail in certain pieces in order to get my voucher for a new crib. What's a toddler supposed to do without her crib for 5-8 business days? Well, a big girl bed seemed like the best solution at the moment.
Here's why:
1. We already had the following items: a metal bed frame and new matresses/box springs from Grandpa and Grandma.
2. It makes sense to put her in a different bed since we were going to have to buy baby boy Jones a crib in a couple of months anyway.
3. Financially, we were really out no money (except for the fact that, of course, I MUST get ZK all new bedding and cutesy stuff for her new room. No question on what to do..... right?
4. We're trying to make things pretty frugal around here, so I felt like God was just dropping some crib money to me, via voucher!!

Well, after only getting 7 hours of sleep for the past two nights and wrestling a wild, cranky, tired toddler..... I'm most definitely rethinking our decision. Last night I would have paid big bucks to have a crib delivered right to my home....at midnight! Don't get me wrong, I do think that 7 hours of sleep, uninterrupted sleep, is pretty good for a toddler.... in her own bed... for the first time. BUT, the ONLY way she would go to sleep is by screaming and crying for me to hold her and rock her, then for me to put her in her bed, then screaming that her teeth hurt, then saying she needed a bandaid, then... well, you get the picture. It was frustrating, to say the least. Especially knowing that just a few short nights ago, I had this perfect little angel sleeper. I would lay her down in her CRIB and she would just lay there and go to sleep for 10 or more hours. ..... and, so would I.

I do know that transitions take time, but I am already beginning to question our decision! I mean really, who cares if we have to spend another couple hundred dollars in order to have two cribs in our house for only a few short months. Isn't the standard age for moving a toddler to a big bed around 3 years old? So what, we'd have the extra crib for what? 6 months or so? Oh dear! I'm going to give it a little more time, but I felt the need to blog about it. Hee hee.

And, this too shall pass..... right? (My favorite quote from when ZK was a colicy infant.)

Oh, and of course I have some pictures of ZK's excitement when she saw her new bed. When she tells people about her new bed, she is so happy and proud of it.... which is adorable. I'll post a few as soon as I get her headboard made and find the cutest bedding for Miss Thang! I do have to admit that I let her pick out her own sheets... they are super spunky, just like my precious ZK.

Matt told me today that one day, when she's away at college, we'll look back on this and laugh and long for these days back.... While I really do agree, I really think he can say that because he's been on shift for two days and not here, Maybe? Deep down I know, it's funny and sweet... but, whew. Let's let the sleeping begin!

Well, if you're still reading this (thanks!)... just say a prayer for this tired preggo mommy and tired little toddler! We need sleep :o)

Pics coming soon!

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Don't give up quite yet! She may just be getting used to the new sleeping arrangements. You will look back and laugh one day...though I know you need your sleep TODAY! Have a great weekend!

Carol said...

When Evan first got his big boy bed, I would lay down with him in his bed. When he fell asleep, I got up. Everyone was happy! Maybe that will help!

Anonymous said...

It's probably good that you are going through this transition now. That way it gives her a little time to adjust before baby brother comes. I'm sure she'll be fine before too long. Of course I'm still struggling to keep a nine year old out of our bed. Good luck tonight!

I saw someone with the name Zaron the other day. I thought it was a cool name. He said he loved his Z name.

Tonya said...

I'm sure Zoe will adjust quickly. She has always been such a good sleeper. She just needs some time to get used to the new surroundings. I can't wait to see her new room. Hope you both get great sleep tonight!

Janean said...

I think it's a good idea to get her used to the toddler bed before baby gets here...one less transition to worry about later. Just my opinion...both my girls moved to a toddler-sized bed at a little over 2 years old and it just took a few days to get used to it. They both loved to sit in bed to look at books for about 10 minutes, then lights off after that...and definitely music and a nightlight on at night. I never laid down with them--I might pat their backs for just a few minutes, but I'm a stickler about stuff like that--I'm sure many people think I'm too tough! I just like routine--and I like my mommy time when they go to bed. :)

Ashlee said...

Valerie,

Our oldest went to a big girl bed at 26 months because the youngest needed to move out of her bassinet into the baby bed. And our youngest went to the big girl bed at 21 months. We were a little more prepared for the second one and she did great. Also, it was at Christmas time and we needed a extra full size bed so like you it worked for us to change when we needed it and it worked well for us. Good luck and congrats on number 2.